Friday, July 2, 2010

blame it on the bossa nova.

Summer is going well. I've had the apartment to myself for the past two weeks, and as much as it's fun pretending that I have my own place I'm excited for my housemates to get back. Lately I've been enjoying just being by myself; I've come to realize that there really are a very, very small number of people I can depend on, so why bother? A cynical view, I'm sure, but the truth of the matter is that as you grow up, people fall by the wayside. The more attached you are, the more it hurts when relationships disintegrate. I've always been the one to throw myself into friendships and relationships 110% and very rarely is it ever equally reciprocated. I'm done wearing my heart on my sleeve and I'm done always being available for people. Why should I be there if they're not there for me? This is one of those things I've learned while growing up; not an easy lesson but an important one.

Anyways...summer is good. Enjoying my solitude, trying out a lot of new recipes, exploring San Francisco, walking around Berkeley, working out, writing (despite this article, becoming a screenwriter is still my dream), helping to plan my baby brother's bar mitzvah (as he's soon to be a man!), etc etc. Oh, and studying for the LSAT once more, as I've decided that I want to take it again to see how I'll do a second time around. It's uninteresting perhaps, but it's simple life and I'm fairly content. Especially considering that this fall is going to be really busy, I'm glad that I have the time to cook and watch The West Wing all day. What more could I ask for?

And with that, I leave you with one of my favorite West Wing moments of season 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment